Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Are Drugs Right For Your Fibromyalgia?

Having fibromyalgia, I'm part of several groups and message boards online discussing the treatment and management of this mysterious, incurable disorder. A topic that seems to come up a lot is opiates, or pain pills as you probably know them(Vicodin, Opana, Oxycodone, etc.). I'm extremely against opiates and I'm often criticized or questioned for my responses.

My life has been touched by drug addiction in many different ways. If you're a follower, you fall in with the crowd and let the same things destroy you. If you're smart, you learn from the mistakes of those suffering and try to help them as best you can. You learn family history to see your risk factors and you weigh benefits and risks of any mind-altering substance.

To those who criticize my reaction to their usage, I could tell them many stories to defend my stance, but I don't often find that to be necessary. Statistics speak for themselves. I've lost a home to drug addiction. I have lost cars to drug addiction. I have lost pride, trust and sometimes dignity to drug addiction. I've lost priceless things to drugs. I've lost beautiful, innocent relationships with brilliant, loving human beings to drug addiction. I have sat up all night trying to entertain a drug addict so you and your family could drive on safer streets. Keep in mind, I never took the pill!

You can't quite comprehend the pain of watching someone kill themselves slowly unless you've witnessed it firsthand. You are as powerless to help them as they are powerless to the drug. They don't want to lie and steal from you. But they will. You'll want to believe they didn't and you'll question your sanity at times. They'll feel guilty for hurting you and do it some more to cover up the pain. You'll try to find a way to blame everyone but them. The economy, drug dealers, medical problems they have or claim to have, but deep down in your heart, you know whose fault it really is. Theirs and theirs alone. Although I have made it abundantly clear to drug dealers that I think they're lowlife scum who better live it up while they can on the money and sorrow of people and families, because it's my hope that there's a special place in hell waiting for them. If you can't help people, at least don't hurt them.

When you use opiates, you're basically gambling. You're gambling with your life and the lives of those around you who love you and depend on you. Is that a risk you're willing to take? Can you afford to? Do you like those odds? Once you discover you're an addict, it's with you for life. It will be a battle you'll have to fight everyday. You'll try so hard to recover, but it's a long road and subject to relapse. You'll lose all credibility with your friends and family. You'll be the boy who cried wolf if you have any aches or pains. If your eyes are bloodshot or you're tired, they'll think you're using again. You probably are.

There will be few resources for you when you finally decide to kick the habit. They're all different and they're all expensive. Suboxone will be an expensive crutch for you and a second withdrawal later on, if you can ever get off of it at all. I have only met one person who has successfully stopped Suboxone. Rehabs are expensive and if you don't stay on top of meetings and if you stay around the same town and people, you're likely to relapse. It will be like a black hole you can't escape and sometimes you'll consider surrendering to the disease. Addiction is a disease.

If that sounds like a life you'd like to live, dabble with opiates. I can't stop you. I do know that fibromyalgia is a tricky disorder that affects each individually differently. My pain is not the same as yours, and if yours is worse, I'm so sorry for you. I know there are a host of other disorders, diseases, and obviously surgeries, which warrant pain medication, albeit short term.

Personally, in the case of fibromyalgia, I'd rather deal with the aches and pains, allow myself to rest when I need to, take some Advil, promote a healthier lifestyle with less processed foods and overuse my beloved heating pad. I'm not interested in opening Pandora's box to see what opiates have in store for me and I hope you don't either.

No comments:

Post a Comment